Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'm on my last month or so on Internship at the Universalist Unitarian Church of Peoria, and hope to pay attention to the blog a little more. I just saw an older blog post, not sure how to locate it, but the post by The Socinian reflected a comment by the Rev. Clyde Grubbs alluding to a common "humanist" thread through all of the ways UU's approach their religion. I tend to agree with this statement, and hope to continue to research its meaning in the future. However, to place it in play at this time I'll make this statement.
"To me, religion is "how we live in relationship to ourselves, each other, and the world around us." Our Theology(ies), giving meaning to this relationship, can come from many sources, and in UU it is encouraged to involve a rational and intuitive account of a broad range of "religious, philosophical and scientific thought," giving us the breadth and depth of human experience to draw upon. I find however, that humanism is a broadly central theme to much of religious and philosophical thought (even mysticism) that eventually feeds our religious fulfillment of, at least, our 7 Principles."
There, quickly done and probably not nearly as precise as I would like, but a start.

Peace, and inquiry!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be considerate in commenting. Rude and unhelpful comments will be deleted.